Home Maintenance Checklist
Here’s a simple bi-annual “top to bottom” checklist to keep your home in shape year-round.
- Roof: Check roof and around vents, skylights and chimneys for leaks.
- Attic: If there is no ridge vent, keep gable vents open year-round to ensure proper ventilation.
- Fireplace: Clean fireplace of ashes. Check chimney for loose or missing mortar. Have chimney professionally cleaned.
- Filters: Remember to clean or replace filters once a month, or as needed. Check and clean dryer vent, air conditioner, stove hood and room fans.
- Safety Equipment: Ensure that all smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors and fire extinguishers are in good working order.
- Faucets: Check for leaky faucets in kitchen and bathroom(s).
Windows and Doors: Seal drafty doors and windows. Replace seals as needed.
- Basement: Check basement walls and floor for dampness.
Heating System: Have heating system serviced. Change filters.
- Hot Water Heater: Drain hot water heater. Remove sediment from the bottom of the tank.
If available, please click the link above to read full article.